Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 53: Declining to Comment about Glide

The interior of Glide's sanctuary
Total Mileage: 6,364

Song of the Day: "Break the Same" (Mute Math)


After a great deal of thought, getting input from Erin and my folks, and a very meditative drive around Yosemite, I've decided that I will not publish my thoughts on much of my time in San Francisco.  In particular, I feel that a lengthy discussion of my time with Fr. River Sims in The Haight might be perceived as bragging about my participation in a very radical ministry.  Though I intend to devote considerable thought to an exploration of the concept of "ministry of presence" and to the Catholic Worker movement of which River is a part, I do not feel that it is appropriate to discuss too many specifics of that evening in a public forum such as this blog.

Also, while I intend to write a pretty lengthy analysis of Glide's many programs and ministries, my comments on the "celebration" that I attended are something that I simply don't want put in writing for fear that they could be misinterpreted.  While I really value Glide's many programs to provide basic needs to the homeless, to provide support to those recovering from substance abuse, and to provide acceptance to those who have felt neglected and oppressed because of sexual orientation, my problems with Glide involve some pretty thorny issues of theology that need to be explained through conversations in person, so talk to me about it two months from now at Duke.  I reserve the right to change my mind on this, but right now, I think that simply writing about Glide wouldn't do it justice and wouldn't facilitate the sort of conversations that need to occur surrounding this organization and its beliefs.

Instead, I think I'm going to spend today relaxing and writing about something fun.

Like X-Men comics.


Peace and Blessings,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment